Monday, September 7, 2009

Random Act of Bad Parenting... from a Stranger

It seems like I'm not the only poor mother who has to deal with strangers telling me how to be a mom. Although, I have to admit, I don't think any of the stories on my blog can beat this one.

According to recent reports, a little 2-year-old girl and her mother were shopping at a neighborhood Walmart in Georgia when the toddler began crying. That was when 61-year-old Roger Stephens decided to take matters into his own hands. He approached the mother and threatened, "If you don't shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you." He then grabbed the 2-year-old and slapped her four times.

This caused the toddler, her face now red from the force of the beating, to begin screaming as the mother stood in shock. Rogers just said in response, "See, I told you I would shut her up." Police were called, and the man was arrested. He has been charged with felony cruelty. The little girl, however, is fine, resting at home with relatives.

I was shocked and saddened to read this article. I (as you know) have had my share of confrontations involving random people approaching me about disciplining my children. But no one has ever dared laid a hand on them. Maybe my fierce comebacks or annoyed looks scare them off. Who knows? Even I may have stood there in disbelief if this jerk had tried this with me.

I am just thankful my confrontations have never come to this sort of fierce face-off. Otherwise, I would have smacked that man so hard back, I'd be facing criminal charges!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would've smacked him too

emma said...

OH. EM. GEE. Seriously. What made this man think he could put his hands on a child? WTF is this world coming to...?

Dad Stuff said...

I too would have stood in shock. Then hands would have then found his throat.