Monday, April 19, 2010

Houston, We Have a Belly

It amazes me how fascinated people are with my expanding belly. And these are the people the already knew I was pregnant. Didn't they know that a pregnant woman is supposed to grow bigger in the midsection? Yet some people still act surprised, even when they know I'm 7 months pregnant, to see that my belly has gotten a little bigger.

I don't get it. We've all heard about the birds and the bees. We were all pulled out of our fifth grade classes to watch the films and discuss the "changing woman." We all took Biology in high school, right? I mean, seriously. Why are they amazed that a pregnant woman has extended her waistline a bit?

I go to my local Starbucks regularly, and I guess the barista finally realized I was telling the truth: I am pregnant. "Are we expecting something?" she asked wickedly. Well, yeah... I was expecting a grande nonfat mocha, but I guess that's too much to ask at this point.

When taking Monkey to swim practice, one of the teachers said, "Ah! You're getting bigger!" Hey, thank you for pointing that out! That explains the pants with the elastic waist I've been wearing for 4 months.

As I was picking up Volcano from school, a mother on the playground exclaimed, "Whoa, belly!" Yes, ladies and gentlemen... babies grow, so pregnant women do as well. What's the big f%&$ing deal?!

I love being pregnant. It is an exciting time, feeling my baby grow, anticipating this new life that will soon join me, and already loving the being inside that I have yet to meet. And I love how gaining weight is actually a good thing, for once in a woman's life. It means my baby is growing healthy and strong and will be coming out to greet the world soon. If I wasn't gaining weight, that would be a sign that there is something wrong with my baby, right?

Why can't these idiots understand that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. This is great.
I know first hand that not gaining weight with a pregnancy is not good for the baby. I couldnt gain weight no matter how much I wanted to. I was so sick with my last and we all know how tiny he was. I would have given anything to be able to and have him be bigger and healthier when he was born. You are doing good and are a great mom.
Jenny Carpenter

Soliloquy said...

I loved being pregnant and wish I could remember it better. Take pictures and video of yourself! I didn't do enough of that.

A little sad those days are so far gone.... and all at the same time notsomuch.