Monday, June 21, 2010

Return of the Diaper Bag

I had given away my old diaper bag. I didn't need it anymore, with both my kids potty-trained, and we weren't sure if we were going to have anymore kids. I didn't really liking this particular one in the first place, and I found it impractical even when I did need it. So, it was donated, along with all my other maternity and baby items, about 2 years ago.

Well, now I needed one. Baby number three is on his way, and I have nothing to carry all the miscellaneous items that comes with having a child in tow. So, after much searching, we found a simple, yet roomy and practical, bag that both Hubby and I would be comfortable holding: messenger strap, gender neutral colors, with all the pockets we needed. Man, this thing was huge! Much bigger than the cute little purse I've been toting around for the past two years! Did I really need all this room?

So I thought I test it out, making sure it could hold all we needed. But... what did we need? It had been about three years since I carried around a diaper bag, and I had totally forgotten what all goes in there. I mean, I obviously knew the diapers go in there, and the wipes... and stuff to feed the kid. But what else?

As every woman in my generation would do, I Googled "what goes in a diaper bag," and was led to several helpful websites. Here's what they all (pretty much) listed:

  • Diapers (more than you think you'll need -- one for every hour you'll be out)
  • Wipes
  • Changing pad
  • Diaper-rash cream
  • 2 burp cloths
  • 1 receiving blanket
  • Extra sweater, shirt, pants, and pair of socks for baby
  • Hat (sun hat for sunny days, knit cap for cold days)
  • Baby sunscreen
  • Baby bottles, depending on how long between feedings
  • Formula (if you use them)
  • At least one toy or book
  • Baby's favorite comfort item
  • 2 bibs
  • Two pacifiers (if you use them)
  • Plastic bags for tossing dirty diapers or wrapping up soiled clothes
  • Extra shirt for you for unexpected spills
  • Personal items for you like cell phone, wallet, etc.

After packing all that stuff up, the diaper bag was now curiously tiny. What happened? Where was I supposed to keep my lipstick? And how was I supposed to carry this monstrosity? It was all coming back to me... the Revenge of the Diaper Bag! I thought carrying my baby around for nine months was heavy? This thing was enormous, cumbersome, and heavy! And I had been sentenced to carry it (along with my baby, his car seat, and any other necessary gear) for the next 2 to 3 years!

Maybe that's what the last nine months of "weight-lifting" had been training me for! No wonder I had conveniently blocked this part out of my memory!

I waved goodbye to my purse. Goodbye cute little clutch, with my lipstick, compact, cell phone, and wallet. Hello, large, bulky backpack with... EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD!!!

1 comment:

Hutchinsons said...

I hear your dilemma. I felt that same way having a baby after my youngest was 6!
Here's what I do. 2 diaper bags. One that stays in the car with a big box of wipes, more diapers, clothes and all the other misc stuff I don't want to carry through a grocery store. It makes the bag much lighter, but you are never far from help in the case of a blow out.
Just make sure you check the size of clothes and diapers occasionally!
Lanxi